Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Arriving in Troon, Scotland

We left the Yorkshire area and finally began the four hour drive to Troon, Scotland. Scotland was the part of our trip we'd been eagerly waiting for. Neither of us had been to Scotland and while Mike was daydreaming about Prestwick, Troon, Carnoustie, and possible getting onto The Old Course at St. Andrews, my goal was getting a glimpse of the ever so cute Highland cow (pronounced 'heel and coo' round these parts).
Well, these are NOT the Highland cows. I've yet to see one. But I'm still looking! Isn't the scenery pretty?

This is one of the highways that took us to Scotland and we had a near disaster! I was dozing on and off (as the passenger, of course!) when I happened to open my eyes and there was a body lying in the road right in front of me! I made a horrible noise, because I fully expected our car to run over this person and I did not want to witness that. Mike, only several days in to this backward UK driving stuff, expertly swerved around her all the while staying in his lane. What happened was, there was a group of cyclists on the highway and a semi truck in front of us possibly forced a gust if wind that overtook one of the cyclists (or she could have hit something in the side of the road) and she started to wobble and lost control and fell onto the highway. Once we realized we didn't hit her, we saw in the rearview mirrors that her friend dragged her out of the road to safety. Whew! The truck driver in front of us pulled over, and we did, too, flagging down the cyclists she was riding with who were ahead of them and didn't see what happened. They checked on her and said shed cut her leg but otherwise was okay and we could go on because they were traveling with a van. That was SCARY!!!

We arrived in Troon, Scotland and Mike headed straight to golf at Prestwick.

But this is the B&B we stayed at called No. 2 Troon.  We were greeted by Rita. She was so good to me, helping me find an urgent care nearby and later a pharmacy open late on Sunday which was no easy feat in this part of the country. After a quick call to my doctor in Hollister, he had urged me to seek medical attention for my legs without delay.

These little cuties also live at No. 2 Troon Road. :-)

"Let me come home with you, guys!"

Our room at No. 2...the only room we've had with 2 twins. But with the whole leg situation the timing was perfect because I was knocked out for the good part of Monday once my medicine kicked in and the itching subsided. I had lost a lot of sleep the two nights before. These were the most comfortable beds on the whole trip other than the first place in London, Lilac Door. They tie for first. :-)

Tea tray!

Mike in front of the Prestwick golf course in Troon.

Look how amazingly narrow this hole is.

Just had to put up a picture of the hospital where the urgent care center is in Kilmarnock where I went and got free care. Thank you, people of Scotland. The legs still look angry, but I think they are improving. Gotta keep an eye on it.









1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better! How did you find all these cute B&B's?

    ReplyDelete