Wednesday, June 17, 2015

More of Dublin!

Getting adjusted to the time difference is coming along. 
In the last 2 days, we've walked more than I've walked in probably the last year! 
This morning, we had breakfast at our B&B (I'll post more about the place after we leave--we're in good hands here, for sure!). Breakfast was SO good, and Gerry the innkeeper makes the best coffee I think I've ever had. 
After breakfast, we took a city bus into the city center again. By this time,we felt like pros with the bus system and where to go. The buses come one right after the other, they have a really efficient system in Dublin. They are double-decker, which is fun. This morning, we rode on the top. 😄

Once we got into the city, we wandered around a bit and got a closer look of the river Liffy. It's a tidal river that separates the north part of Dublin from the south part. When it's low, the walls can look pretty grimy, but I think we got a nice pic of it here.

At 11:00, in the "spitting" rain, we met up with a walking tour guide at the gates of Trinity College. This particular tour is guided by graduates of Trinity College who have their Masters or PhD in Irish history, which I knew---but I guess I forgot to tell Mike that. So, like a trooper, he allowed himself to be tortured for 2 hours listening to the incessant lectures of our lovely, and very knowledgeable tour guide who also teaches at Trinity College. The tour included some of the college then we ventured over to the Bank of Ireland, Christchurch, Dublin Castle, City Hall, and a couple other spots. I loved it, I could listen to lectures for hours! Especially when the speaker is so passionate about it. 😄

Here are some pics from our walking tour:

The entrance to Trinity College

In the courtyard of the college

One of the rooms inside the city hall

Dublin Castle

Part of Christchurch 

St. Patrick's Catherdral



Once our tour guide left us, we got back on the hop on/hop off tour bus. I am SO thankful for that bus, because that seems to be my ideal place to fall asleep. Did I mention our tour guide walked extremely briskly? I needed a nap! 

We don't drink beer, but here is a shot of one of many Guinness buildings from atop the tour bus. 

And the Guinness tour entrance

My napping spot


I don't drink beer, but I wanted to see this place where they make whiskey. The distillery tour, however, was 15 euros, and I thought well I don't like whiskey THAT much! 

But the atmosphere was really neat...

So we went inside to check things out (Look...how cute! We unknowingly caught a couple taking a selfie--bottom left)...

And I tried a Jameson Irish coffee. I don't know how they make that cream on top or what they do, but it was really yummy! 

We walked back to the river in search of what claims to be the oldest pub in Ireland...and we found it!

It was on Mike's list, and after suffering through the historical walking tour without a single complaint (I was so enthralled with it that I didn't know he disliked it until it was over!) he deserved it! Look how tiny it is! 

Finally, we got back on a city bus and came back to our B&B. This is a view of a church nearby if we stick our head out the window and crane our necks to the right. Directly behind our backyard is a girl's school. They are still in school right now, as each morning we have heard them playing at recess. 😂

Tomorrow, we are off to Killarney! Thank you for catching up with us! 



1 comment:

  1. I will definitely have to go to Trinity College next time we are in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete